Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Golden Globes Best Picture Nominees - Drama & Comedy or Musical

In honor of the Golden Globes ceremony this coming Sunday night, I will be blogging all week.  I have unfortunately NOT seen any of the 10 films listed below.  Almost all of them are on my "to see" list, but there just hasn't been any time for me to get to the "big" theatre an hour away and only 4 of the movies below have come to my town.  (And when they were here I didn't get to see them...)

I present to you anyway, clips of the 5 Best Picture nominees in the Drama category and the 5 Best Picture nominees in the Comedy or Musical category.  (My notes in italics.)  Tell me who you think should win...


Best Picture - Drama
And the nominees are:


A ballet dancer wins the lead in "Swan Lake" and is perfect for the role of the delicate White Swan, but slowly loses her mind as she becomes more and more like the evil twin sister of the White Swan, the Black Swan.

Stars:
Natalie Portman
Mila Kunis
Vincent Cassel
Barbara Hershey
Winona Ryder

Directed By: Darren Aronofsky

Also nominated for:
Natalie Portman, Best Actress - Drama
Mila Kunis, Best Supporting Actress
Darren Aronofsky, Best Director

This looks like the creepiest ballet themed movie I have ever seen. But the 2 nominated actresses trained for over a year to do as much of the dancing as they could.  I think that Natalie Portman will win for best actress - drama.



A look at the early years of boxer "Irish" Micky Ward and his brother who helped train him before going pro in the mid 1980s.

Stars:
Mark Wahlberg
Christian Bale
Amy Adams

Directed By: David O. Russell

Also nominated for:
Mark Wahlberg, Best Actor - Drama
Christian Bale, Best Supporting Actor
Amy Adams, Best Supporting Actress
Melissa Leo, Best Supporting Actress
David O. Russell, Best Director

I cannot wait to see this, but I fear I will have to as it has left the "big" theatre near me and never came to my little town.  I put Christian Bale as the winner for best supporting actor. 



In a world where technology exists to enter the human mind through dream invasion, a highly skilled thief is given a final chance at redemption which involves executing his toughest job to date: Inception.

Stars:
Leonardo DiCaprio
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Ellen Page

Directed By: Christopher Nolan

Also nominated for:
Christopher Nolan, Best Director
Hans Zimmer, Best Original Score

I don't see this winning best picture at the Golden Globes.  I foresee it taking all of the technical awards at the Oscar's such as special effects and cinematography. 



The story of King George VI of Britain, his impromptu ascension to the throne and the speech therapist who helped the unsure monarch become worthy of it.

Stars:
Colin Firth
Helena Bonham Carter
Geoffrey Rush

Directed By: Tom Hooper

Also nominated for:
Colin Firth, Best Actor - Drama
Helena Bonham Carter, Best Supporting Actress
Geoffrey Rush, Best Supporting Actor
Tom Hooper, Best Director
Alexandre Desplat, Best Original Score

Out of all the movies on this page, THIS is the one I want to see the most.  I vote for Colin Firth as best actor - drama.



A chronicle of the founding of Facebook, the social-networking web site.

Stars:
Jesse Eisenberg
Andrew Garfield
Justin Timberlake

Directed By: David Fincher

Also nominated for:
Jesse Eisenberg, Best Actor - Drama
Andrew Garfield, Best Supporting Actor
David Fincher, Best Director

I have no desire to see this movie.  I am not even sure why it was made, they didn't even get the story correct from what I've read.


Best Picture - Comedy or Musical
And the nominees are:


19-year-old Alice returns to the magical world from her childhood adventure, where she reunites with her old friends and learns of her true destiny: to end the Red Queen's reign of terror.

Stars:
Mia Wasikowska
Johnny Depp
Helena Bonham Carter

Directed By: Tim Burton

Also nominated for:
Johnny Depp, Best Actor - Musical or Comedy
Danny Elfman, Best Original Score

Johnny Depp should win for best actor - musical or comedy.  And Danny Elfman could come away with the best original score as well.



A small-town girl ventures to Los Angeles and finds her place in a neo-burlesque club run by a former dancer.

Stars:
Cher
Christina Aguilera
Alan Cumming

Directed By: Steve Antin

Also nominated for:
Bound to You, Best Original Song
You Haven't Seen the Last of Me, Best Original Song

The only musical that even came out this year...I think.  It bombed at the theatre.




Two children conceived by artificial insemination bring their birth father into their family life.

Stars:
Annette Bening
Julianne Moore
Mark Ruffalo

Directed By: Lisa Cholodenko

Also nominated for:
Annette Bening, Best Actress - Comedy or Musical
Julianne Moore, Best Actress - Comedy or Musical

This is another one the didn't come to town.  It actually looks pretty funny!  I think that Annette Bening and Julianne Moore will cancel each other out with best actress votes for this, therefore allowing someone else to win.



When his idyllic life is threatened by a high-tech assassin, former black-ops agent Frank Moses reassembles his old team in a last ditch effort to survive.

Stars:
Bruce Willis
Helen Mirren
Morgan Freeman
John Malkovich

Directed By: Robert Schwentke

Also nominated for:
well....nothing actually

I've heard it's entertaining.  I highly doubt it will win.



Revolves around Frank, an American tourist visiting Italy to mend a broken heart.  Elise is an extraordinary woman who deliberately crosses his path.

Stars:
Johnny Depp
Angelina Jolie
Paul Bettany

Directed By: Florian Henckel von Donnersmark

Also nominated for: 
Johnny Depp, Best Actor - Musical or Comedy
Angelina Jolie, Best Actress - Musical or Comedy

I have no idea why this is in the comedy or musical category. It's listed as: action, drama, thriller when you look it up.  I don't think it's going to win anything honestly.  My guess is the only reason they nominated both the film as well as Depp and Jolie was so they would come to the ceremony and give it some "star" power.

3 comments:

  1. Of this list, I've only seen The Social Network. Come to Denver...we'll make a marathon day of it. The theatre by my house the tickets are like, $6 (Matinee is even cheaper). Love the blog. I completely agree with whoever told you you should do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I haven't seen anything on this list either (except I did see Social Network...which I loved).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that even though I don't have any desire to see a movie "about" Facebook, I should watch it- as it seems to be winning all sorts of awards. But it's gone from this land, so I'm gonna have to wait for the DVD version.

    ReplyDelete