Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Want to See...

Well my goal of blogging the entire week before the Golden Globes didn't happen as two out of my three kids wound up getting the flu and one of them decided to have strep on top of it. So my weekend plans of blogging about who I thought would win what and even watching the awards ceremony went up in smoke.  I told my husband on Sunday night that I only had enough energy to predict a few winners: Colin Firth as Best Actor - Drama for The King's Speech, Natalie Portman as Best Actress - Drama for Black Swan, Annette Bening as Best Actress - Comedy or Musical for The Kids Are All Right, Johnny Depp as Best Actor - Comedy or Musical for Alice in Wonderland, Christian Bale as Best Supporting Actor for The Fighter.  Monday morning I got up and looked online to see who won - I got them all correct, except for Depp who lost out to Paul Giamatti for a role in a movie I've never even heard of.

I must say that I was a bit disappointed that The Social Network won for Best Picture, I am just not a big fan of that movie.  Couldn't stand the previews and I get so tired of hearing about Facebook in the news, that I think it really turned me off from seeing a film about it, even though I am a Facebook user.  BUT, I've heard from a few friends who have seen the movie, that it's actually really good.  It's winning all sorts of awards, so we'll see what happens next weekend at the SAG awards and then the BAFTA's in February, if it keeps up it's momentum.

But enough of that.

I've been watching previews lately for movies coming out and I wanted to share a few that I think could be entertaining!  Please note that I watch a wide variety of movies.  So the previews I post will vary - some you may like, some may make you question being my friend....  Make sure you watch the ones you think look good and if you see one you like, remember to write down the release date and title so you don't forget.  Enjoy!



In Roman-ruled Britain, a young Roman soldier endeavors to honor his father's memory by finding his lost legion's golden emblem.

Looks interesting!  I saw a blurb months ago about a movie with Channing Tatum that was filming in Scotland.  (This must have been it.)  The blurb was talking about how they had to take him to the hospital because he was trying to get warm in his "Roman outfit" and one of the stuntmen poured hot water down his suit. I guess he had some sort of undies on under the skirt and the water was SO hot it burned a rather ummm, "sensitive" area....

Stars:
Channing Tatum 
Jamie Bell
Mark Strong
Donald Sutherland

Rated PG-13 for battle sequences and some disturbing images.

Release date:  February 11, 2011




A 16-year-old who was raised by her father to be the perfect assassin is dispatched on a mission across Europe, tracked by a ruthless intelligence agent and her operatives.

I love suspenseful, thrillers.  Until M. Night Shyamalan movies (which Hanna is not, I'm just making a reference) started stinking, they were some of my favorites because of that "keeps you guessing" feeling they have.  This one looks like it has action as well, which makes it even better.

Stars:
Saoirse Ronan
Cate Blanchett
Eric Bana

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some sexual material and language.

Release Date: April 8, 2011




Jack Sparrow and Barbossa embark on a quest to find the elusive fountain of youth, only to discover that Blackbeard and his daughter are after it too.

I am looking forward to this!  It looks much better than the last one, which I thought was one of the longest movies I have ever seen and could have gotten it's point across in about an hour rather than almost 3. 

Stars:
Johnny Depp
Geoffrey Rush
Penelope Cruz
Ian McShane

Not yet rated.

Release Date: May 20, 2011




Garden gnomes Gnomeo (voice of McAvoy) and Juliet (voice of Blunt) have as many obstacles to overcome as their quasi namesakes when they are caught up in a feud between neighbors. But with plastic pink flamingos and lawnmower races in the mix, can this young couple find lasting happiness?

Feel free to ask my children, they will confirm I am picky about animated films.  I rarely take my kids to a theatre to watch them, waiting instead until DVD release.  Part of that is because they won't sit still or as in the last time we went, my middle kid HAD to use the potty in the last 5 minutes of Tangled....
But it's usually because I don't think there are that many worth seeing.  This is one I think has potential.

Voice Talents Of:
James McAvoy
Emily Blunt
Jason Statham
Michael Caine
Maggie Smith
Patrick Stewart

Unrated

Release Date: February 11, 2011




A spaceship arrives in Arizona, 1873, to take over the Earth, starting with the Wild West region.  A posse of cowboys are all that stand in their way.

Well why not? If aliens can attack in present day, why wouldn't they back in the day?  Haha!  I don't care how silly this might be, it has Daniel Craig AND Harrison Ford in it.  I'm there.

Stars:
Daniel Craig
Harrison Ford
Olivia Wilde
Sam Rockwell

Not yet rated.

Release Date: July 29, 2011

2 comments:

  1. Ok - I am SO going to some of these with you! The Eagle, Hanna,and Cowboys and Aliens have caught my attention...so we need to go see these! I have decided you will be my "movie going bud!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite happy to be a "movie going bud!" I LOVE going to the movies.

    ReplyDelete